Portland Traumatic Brain Injury Attorney
Helping You and Your Family Recover After a Serious Brain Injury
One of the most dangerous and most common forms of injury that can result from serious car crashes, construction accidents, workplace incidents, and other accidents is a traumatic brain injury. Traumatic brain injury can occur whenever a person experiences a sudden, intense impact to the head, causing the brain to move around the skull. Head trauma can take an immense physical and psychological toll on an accident victim, leading to a lengthy recovery and significant medical bills.
If you have been involved in an accident and have suffered a brain injury, you could have a claim for damages against the negligent parties that hurt you. The Portland traumatic brain injury attorneys at the Law Offices of Timothy Grabe has decades of experience helping injured accident victims and their families recover the compensation they deserve after serious accidents.
What Leads to Brain Injury
Traumatic brain injury (TBI) can result from any significant blunt trauma to the head. After a sudden blow to the head, the brain can crash back and forth inside the skull, even if there is no fracture to the skull itself. The jarring movement of the brain can cause bruising, bleeding, or tearing of nerve fibers. The damage can be delayed, with swelling occurring hours later. Physical damage to the brain can cause a variety of medical problems, both short-term and long-term.
TBI commonly results from traffic accidents involving cars, motorcycles, trucks, and bicycles. Brain injury can also occur in workplace accidents, such as construction accidents or logging injuries, when heavy machinery, construction materials, or other loose debris strikes someone on the head. TBI is a common injury following falls from heights as well as slip & falls. TBI can even be caused by non-impact incidents and whiplash.
If you have been involved in a serious accident on the road or at a construction site, see a doctor as soon as possible. Speak with a dedicated Oregon brain injury lawyer to find out if you have a claim for relief against the parties that caused your injury.
Symptoms of a Brain Injury
One of the most frightening things about brain injuries is that they are not always readily apparent just after the accident. Some symptoms may occur immediately, but others may take hours or even days to appear, while the damage internally continues to worsen. If you experienced blunt trauma to the head, or if you were in a serious accident and head trauma may have occurred, it is important to see a physician as soon as possible for diagnosis and treatment.
Watch out for any of the symptoms of TBI after a car, truck, logging, or construction accident, including the following:
- Memory loss
- Loss of sight or blurred vision
- Loss of hearing
- Difficulty sleeping
- Difficulty speaking, including slurring and trouble remembering words
- Sharp emotional changes, including depression, anxiety, anger, and mood swings
If you experience any of these symptoms in the minutes, hours, or days following a serious accident, you might have a traumatic brain injury. The Law Offices of Timothy Grabe can help you investigate the circumstances of your accident and recover any damages you are owed from the negligent parties that injured you. We will help you get the medical treatment you need and the recovery you deserve.
Consequences of TBIs
Trauma to the head and brain can result in a variety of short-term and long-term conditions. Some of the more common forms of brain injury that result from traffic accidents and other negligence-based injuries include:
- Concussion. The most common result of brain injury is a concussion. A concussion is a brain trauma that causes a brief loss of consciousness, typically less than a minute, and can result in a variety of symptoms lasting from weeks to more than a year.
- Contusion. Contusions involve severe bruising or bleeding in the brain. Larger contusions often require surgery to repair, given the extent of the damage. Contusions with edema, or swelling, can cause intracranial pressure, which can be life-threatening. The zenith of the swelling often occurs a few days after the trauma.
- Diffuse axonal injury (DAI). DAI is a stretching and shearing of the nerve cells of the brain. It occurs when the brain moves quickly back and forth inside the skull, lagging behind the movement of the skull itself. This injury can result from sudden shaking or jarring of the head, such as in a car crash, and can cause significant nerve damage.
- Hematoma. A hematoma is a blood clot, which is a mass of blood or pronounced swelling either between the brain and skull or within the brain itself. Large clots can cause significant danger to an accident victim and may need surgery to repair.
Any of these injuries, even at the mild end, requires treatment and monitoring and can cause days, weeks, or months of psychological, physical, and emotional problems. The Law Offices of Timothy Grabe can help you get coverage for the medical treatment and recovery you need after serious head trauma.
Get Legal Help From a Dedicated Portland Brain Injury Lawyer Today
If you or a loved one has suffered a traumatic brain injury in a car crash, construction accident, or other accident in or around the greater Portland area, you need qualified legal assistance as soon as possible. The Portland personal injury attorney at the Law Offices of Timothy Grabe has more than three decades of experience helping accident victims recover the damages they are due.
Tim Grabe is fully versed in all of the legal aspects of injury claims and lawsuits. He knows how to deal with negligent parties, insurance providers, employers, and defense attorneys. He is ready to negotiate a fair settlement or fight your case all the way to trial – whatever is necessary to get you and your family the compensation you deserve.
If you were seriously hurt with a head injury by someone else’s negligence in Oregon, contact our Portland traumatic brain injury attorney today.